Sunday, January 22, 2012

Sanitation

Tonight I am watching a Documentary called Roads to Memphis. The images below really struck me. These posters say so much about work, dignity, worker's rights and unity with this simple phrase: I AM A MAN. 


Sanitation worker Ben Jones, now 71, holds a replica placard of the
words made famous by strikers in Memphis who demanded better wages
and respect. He used to tell his wife, 'I might be back and
 I might not,' as tensions peaked in 1968.
CARL JUSTE / MIAMI HERALD STAFF


 
Memphis sanitation workers strike in 1968 with "I Am A Man"
posters, which emerged as a unifying civil rights theme.
PHOTO COPYRIGHT RICHARD L. COPLEY


(also posted on the CHOPE blog)

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jruss, thanks for sharing...

    on a related note: http://www.good.is/post/people-are-awesome-join-the-campaign-to-thank-your-garbage-collectors/

    ReplyDelete